NorthStar VETS Video
Emergency, Trauma & Critical Care
In the event of emergency, do you know who to call? The old boy scout motto of 'Always Be Prepared' could not be more appropriate should your pet get hit by a car, become ill, or experience a traumatic injury. The correct answer is the Emergency Trauma and Critical Care Department at NorthStar VETS. Our hospital has a complete emergency team on staff at all times, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week that are qualified to evaluate and care for your pet at a moment's notice or when your family veterinarian is unavailable. We are here to assist you with any potentially life threatening situation, including:
All cases are treated individually and are closely observed for advanced life support procedures. In some situations patients are treated and get to go home on the very same day; however, there are occasions when a pet must be admitted for further intervention.
- Difficulty breathing
- Labor and delivery problems
- And many more conditions
From the simple bleeding toe nail to the diabetic crisis to the multi-organ trauma of a hit by car incident, our team of caring doctors and technical staff possess the skills, knowledge, equipment, and experience to provide whatever level of care is needed. Working in close concert with NorthStar VETS' board certified specialists, we strive to provide the highest level of medical care possible and do so with respect, professionalism, kindness and empathy.
Some of the advanced techniques that are utilized frequently include:
Our doctors and staff also understand the stressful nature of bringing your pet to the emergency room. We believe that every patient, every person, and every situation are unique and special. We work as an extension of your family veterinarian and are here to provide both you and your companion with peace of mind when your primary care veterinarian is unavailable or if they have referred you to us. Through teamwork and thoughtful collaboration, we will work to find the best treatment plan for you and your pet.
- Mechanical Ventilation: Used for respiratory diseases or anesthesia support
- Advanced Life Support/CPR: Defibrillation, closed and open chest CPR procedures
- Intravenous Nutrition: Total parenteral nutrition, partial parenteral nutrition, vitamin supplementation/replacement
- Enteral Nutrition: Nasoesophageal, nasogastric, esophageal, PEG and jejunal feeding tubes
- Transfusion Medicine: Red blood cell, plasma, albumin, fresh whole blood (provided by the Blood Donor Program), and cyroprecipitate transfusions
- Focused Assessment Studies: Ultrasound studies for rapid assessment of body cavities for the presence of fluid.
- Peritoneal Dialysis: Removal of specific toxins, acute kidney failure, life threatening electrolyte disturbances
- Advanced Intravenous Access: Peripheral catheters, central venous catheters, double and triple lumen catheters, cut-down procedures, and intraosseous catheters
- Advanced Pressure Monitoring: Direct arterial blood pressure, doppler blood pressure, oscillometric blood pressure, and central venous pressure monitoring
- Respiratory Monitoring: End tidal carbon dioxide, pulse oximetry, arterial blood gas, and venous blood gas monitoring
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
In our line of work we feel comfortable saying we hope we don't see you, however, in times of crisis we are always available. NorthStar VETS Emergency Service is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.