Dentistry and Oral Surgery
Emergency & Critical Care
Pet Loss and Bereavement Support
Rehabilitation & Pain Management
Theriogenology (Reproductive Medicine)
Laser Disc Ablation
Click here to subscribe to
our email newsletter.
We understand that a diagnosis of cancer in a beloved pet can be upsetting. But it's reassuring to know that, with today's advances in diagnosis and treatment, many cancers can be successfully treated in dogs and cats.
It's also good to know that at NorthStar VETS we have an entire department dedicated to caring for pets with cancer by using leading-edge therapies. They will guide you through every step of diagnosis and treatment with compassion and respect.
Your pet's quality of life is the most important factor in choosing the best course of treatment. During your initial consultation, our doctors will examine your pet, conduct any additional diagnostic testing necessary, and explain treatment options. Together, we'll agree on a plan that best serves your pet as well as your family's personal and financial situation.
Pain management and palliative care are important aspects of cancer treatment, too. We make sure our patients remain as comfortable as possible while under our care.
The Services We Offer
We utilize many modalities (methods) to treat cancer in companion animals. These modalities can be used alone or in combination, depending on your pet's situation:
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells. Most of our patients tolerate chemotherapy well with few, if any, side effects. Treatment may be given anywhere from daily to monthly, depending on the type of cancer and intent of therapy.
- Surgery: Surgery to remove a cancerous tumor is often the first line of cancer treatment. Our Oncology department works with board-certified veterinary surgeons with oncologic surgery expertise to provide treatment plans for our patients.
- Radiation therapy: This uses X-rays or similar forms of radiation to destroy cancer cells. While radiation therapy is not currently available on-site at NorthStar VETS, our oncology staff is trained in the modality and can offer consultation and referral, if indicated.
- Pain management: Comprehensive pain management is essential for a good quality of life for cancer patients. We find that our oncology patients often benefit from physical therapy to help maintain their strength and morale.
- Integrative Therapy:
- Acupuncture: This therapy involves the placement of needles at certain locations along the body. Our goal is to improve quality of life and minimize any side effects from traditional therapy, like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Herbal Supplements: There are a wide variety of supplements that are mostly plant-based. These can be used to also minimize side effects from other therapies. They can also help enhance the immune system and possibly fight the cancer itself.
- Food Therapy: When it comes to diet and nutrition, our top priority for our patients is that they are fed a well-balanced diet that they enjoy on a consistent basis. This can be a commercial diet, home-cooked, or a combination of the two.
The Conditions We See
Our veterinary oncology team has the expertise to treat a wide range of cancers - both common and rare - including:
- Brain tumor (glioma, meningioma)
- Gastrointestinal carcinoma or adenocarcinoma
- Histiocytic sarcoma
- Lymphosarcoma or Lymphoma (the most common cancer in pets)
- Mast cell tumor
- Multiple myeloma
- Mycosis fungoides
- Nerve sheath tumor
- Primary lung tumor
- Soft tissue sarcoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Thyroid carcinoma
- Injection site sarcoma or vaccine-associated sarcoma
To make a referral or schedule a consultation with our Oncology Department,
or to schedule a tour,
simply call NorthStar VETS at 609.259.8300.
Beverly Starr - Client Liaison
Pet Parents: Contact Beverly Starr at 609-259-8300 x1202 or at email@example.com to schedule your appointment and get all pre-consultation paperwork set up.
Veterinarians: Contact Beverly with questions about in-hospital cases, or to discuss a pending case. You can also refer a case online.